How to enroll in ILE courses

Interested students must fill out and submit an Open Studies Application. If you are already a U of Alberta student, you do not need to apply for admission. You can simply register for courses, either online through Bear Tracks or by contacting the ILE office.

Enroll FAQ's

As an Open Studies student you can take university level credit courses on a part-time basis without being admitted or committed to a degree or diploma program. Any courses you take through Open Studies are credit courses. This means they may considered toward a future degree or diploma.

  • Can I transfer credits obtained from courses taken while in Open Studies to another university?

Credits from university courses can be transferred to other post-secondary institutions. You must check the institution you are applying to to find out what their policies and procedures are for transferring credits.

  • Will these courses show up on my university transcript?

Yes! These are university credit courses.

  • Is funding available?

There is limited funding available through the Enbridge Indigenous Language Leadership Award. These awards are available to members of communities in Treaty 6, 7, and 8 areas.  Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor of Education degree and working in the area of Indigenous languages education.

  • Do I need to be fluent in my language?

Language fluency can mean a lot of different things to different people. You need only come with a desire and interest to learn your language and willingness to share language learning with others.